|Portrayed by||Denise Welch|
|First Appearance|| Series 1 Ep 01 |
Series 6 Ep 09 (guest)
|Last Appearance|| Series 5 Ep 20 |
Series 6 Ep 10 (guest)
|Occupation|| Head of French (s.1-4) |
French Teacher (s.5)
Head of Pastoral Care (s.3)
Finance Director (s.3)
|Romances|| Jack Rimmer |
|Children||Maxine Barlow (fostered)|
Stephanie "Steph" Haydock has little control over her classes, limited respect from the pupils and is a pretty hopeless teacher. Whilst this does bother her deep down, she manages to remain in denial about her failings. Everyone is fond of her and they turn a blind eye to the brutal fact that she’s a rubbish French teacher. Steph harbours a maternal nature which she displayed by taking in and eventually fostering troubled pupil Maxine Barlow, and remained her guardian until Maxine was killed at their home, leaving Steph devastated. Steph left Waterloo Road, but has proved a loyal friend to members of staff by returning several times when they have needed her, particularly around halfway through series 6, when Grantly couldn't cope with his wife Fleur having Alzheimer's. Steph made close friendships with Matt Wilding, Kim Campbell, Jo Lipsett, Ruby Fry and other members of staff, even grumpy old Grantly!
- "Of course, headmaster" (first line)
- Helen: [About Max] "I know he can be a bit severe, but, he is a pretty inspirational leader." Steph: "Really? So was Mussolini."
- Steph: "If I had a black coffee, and I added milk, then what would happen?" Tom: "I'd have to make myself another coffee, I like mine black."
- Steph: "Love you, Max."
- Steph: "I'm blackmailing you, Bolton, keep up."
- Steph: "You know, me and my Maxine, whenever one of us was down, we'd curl up on the sofa with a bar of chocolate and have a good old moan."